Sisters

Sisters

Friday, June 13, 2014

Albert's Update

Guess where?
It's a lovely sunny day in Canada. The girls are working on their home schooling, and I am shortly about to do some marking with them.
We've been here now for just over 3 weeks, and we are nicely settled in.
So far I have preached 5 times. Twice after the first week of being here, once after that, and last Sunday I preached twice, the morning here at Wellandport URC, and the evening at another local church Adoration URC in Jordan.
I am enjoying being back in the pulpit again, and getting back into the swing of writing sermons. My Sermons are up on Sermon Audio if you want to catch up with how I am going. Any positive criticism is welcome!
One thing that I have been getting used to is the art of writing catechism sermons. It is a challenge to consider both scripture and the catechism, and then weave them in together. I have preached from two Lord's days, 25 and 26, and in a couple of weeks I will be preaching from LD 27. The advantage has been I now feel that I am getting a good grasp on baptism!
I am meeting weekly with my pastor, which is a good encouraging time. He is doing a great job of answering all the questions I pepper him with!
I have also been given a long list of pastoral visits to make, and I am slowly working through those as well. I love getting out and meeting members of the congregation and hearing their stories. It is a blessing to listen to them, and a privilege to encourage them and read God's Word with them.
I am also taking a Bible Study this Summer. We have started to go through a book called: "The Hole in Our Holiness" by Kevin de Young. It looks pretty good so far, it deals with our sanctification, and how we are to work at it.
So it looks like another busy summer, which is awesome. The more experience I can get the better! I enjoy the time in the classroom, but I think I enjoy more getting out and working together with God's people!
Till next time,
Albert

No comments: