Sisters

Sisters

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Albert's Weekly Update 7/10


It's been another busy week. The temperatures continue to get colder. This morning when I woke up it was 30 degrees. In Fahrenheit. That's -1 in Celsius. It was a little chilly in the office! I will have to organize a heater I think.

One of the challenges I am finding at the moment is balancing all the work. There is lots to do, and there is a real art to knowing what needs to be done when. I am getting better and planning and prioritizing the work, but I haven't got it right yet.

After some good starts in Hebrew and Greek my grades have slipped a little. It's not for lack of working hard, I am just finding things a little tough in the language department at the moment. I am sure it will improve, but it is just a little disheartening putting in the hard work, and not quite getting the results. "Build vocab daily" is the encouragement of Rev van der Hart, my Hebrew teacher, and I am going to be more on top of regular vocab building this week. I am told the best way is to do little chunks often, and I have been guilty of trying to do too much at once.

Greek this week is a review week, with no new vocab, so hopefully I will be able to spend some time consolidating my weak areas.

It is also the season of Mid Terms. I have a 2 hour exam on Thursday for Theological Foundations: Prolegomena. Here is a sampling of some of the questions on my study guide. Feel free to skip these, but I thought that some of you might be interested.

Short Answer:

  1. Explain how and why "Dogmatics is a Scientific Discipline.
  2. Explain the usefulness of dogmatics as a distinct theological discipline.
  3. Define briefly and succinctly : dogma; dogmatics; theology, systematic theology, prolegomena, principium essendi, principium cognoscendi.

Medium Answer:

  1. Explain the emergence of "modern theology" and its distinguishing characteristics, including the influence of Christian Wolff and Immanuel Kant and Albrecht Ritschl.
  2. What are the various "contexts" for pursuing the task of dogmatic/systematic theology? That is, discuss the role and limitation of Scripture/ the Bible, Tradition/ confessions, and personal faith and experience in doing the work of dogmatics.

Long Answer:

  1. Should apologetics be regarded as a fifth theological discipline which provides the foundation for the rest of the theological enterprise? More specifically, what is the role of apologetics for theology according to B.B. Warfield in contrast to the view of Abraham Kuyper?
  2. How can theology as a discipline get underway? That is, what is its method/ access according to classic Reformed theology. Using Muller and J. Wollebius, present the classic Reformed conception of the theological enterprise, including archetypal and ectypal theology.

I would appreciate your continued prayers as I continue to work at my studies. They make a difference, and it is appreciated.

I would like to finish off today by saying a special thank you to those who are supporting us financially. Without your help we could not be here. It is a privilege to be here, and your contribution is helping further the work of His kingdom. Your support helps spur me on when things are tough!

Have a blessed week,

Albert

No comments: