Sisters

Sisters

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Our Romantic Get Away

Albert's parents insisted that Albert and I take the opportunity to go away for a few days! My Mom had paid for us the year before and this year Albert's parents graciously paid for us to get a away for a few days. 

I'm not sure if you know but riding rollercoasters was on Albert's bucket list. So while we were discussing on where we should go for a few days, we talked about various options. Last year we stayed one night in the central city which we really enjoyed. We wanted to do something different this year. Since there was a roller coaster park about 1 hour drive away we thought it a logical conclusion. We didn't think this was something the girls would enjoy, not only the scary rides but also the waiting and not to mention the cost for our whole family. I had already been to quite a few fun parks thanks to my Dad's work in Holland in my teenage years. So off to Six Flags Great America  we went. A new ride had opened that season, Goliath! Here is the description from the website:
Six Flags Great America annihilates all other wooden-coaster records this year with the introduction of Goliath, shattering not one but three world records and becoming the most extreme wooden coaster on the planet. Goliath takes you up a 165-foot lift hill super structure then plunges you down a record-setting 180-foot, near vertical 85-degree drop. Experience record-breaking speeds of up to 72 mph and blast into jaw-dropping tricks including three over-banked turns and two upside-down maneuvers — a 180-degree Zero-G roll into an inverted drop and an inverted Zero-G stall.

Just wanted to tell you about it in order to let you know how much I love Albert. I'm not a high thrill seeker but promised that I would go on this with him. I'm glad we did this first as the drop was VERY scary, it makes going up side down easy in comparison! We waited 1 1/2 hours in the queue (or line if you are an American!) so I was determined to kind of enjoy it, wouldn't do it again in a hurry though. I really don't like going up, don't mind the speed but going up well it is just scary! 

Here is a look at the ride:Goliath

It's a big structure
Going up.........
Almost there, see that drop?

Next we did X-Flight, see link here: X-Flight. This was as scary as Goliath but after this I decided that I needed a break from the rollercoasters. Albert continued trying to go on all the rollercoasters before the park closed. This might sound easy but since the waiting times were HUGE this was a challenge in itself. While I was waiting for Albert to do his thing I went on some of the more tame rides. Albert went on Batman and Superman (i.e. flying superman style around the rollercoaster) to name a few. Towards the end of the day we went on the American Eagle together. Although this wooden roller coaster didn't go upside down, it was still rather scary, especially the wooden rattle as you go up!




Selfie in front of the park

We stayed at a Resort close to Six Flags which turned out to be a great deal. The Resort had a package deal which included Six Flags admission and also a free shuttle. The Resort also had an indoor water park included with it. Although this Resort was aimed mainly at families with little children, we still had a blast. Our room was very nice, although we didn't spend much time in it. The next day we had a luxurious break fast. It was so nice to be able to have several cups of tea with Albert as company with no pressure to be any where! A real luxury! We did some swimming, rode plenty of slides, did some more eating and also did some shopping. I know shopping is not my thing normally but I thought foolishly let's have a look at the local mall. Well, I don't think we saw all of it and we spend several hours browsing around. It is an outlet mall and it seemed that just about every American store was represented there. I have never seen anything like it! 


View from the top of the slide tower
Notice the 'Vortex' on the right, my favorite waterslide!
Albert
Me on the Vortex (or toilet bowl as I affectionately call it!)

For our last dinner, my good friend & family in NZ
 bought me a Cheesecake Factory dinner voucher!
Happy Couple!
Yummy Salmon!
What a great couple of days away. Thank you Pake and Beppe for making this possible. 

PS All was well on our return home :). Not sure who had more fun, we or the girls with the grandparents!

No comments: