Sisters

Sisters

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Albert's Update Jan 2014

Winter 2013
2014! Happy New Year! May the Lord bless you all in this year to come.

It's scary to think that next year we will be back home. While we are very much looking forward to coming back, we also realize that this special time in our lives is drawing to a close. With the completion of last Semester I am halfway through my Seminary education. It is going fast.

Last Semester went well. I have received back all my marks, and I am thankful to report that the Lord has once again blessed my work. I have passed all my subjects, and have done well. I will post a link to my grades, for those that are interested, once I have confirmed my final grades. These grades are in no small part due to your support and prayers.

Last Semester I began taking the devotions and P.E. at the girls homeschool group. This has been a good opportunity to spend more time with the family. For devotions we have been working through the Ten Commandments, as well as the Heidelberg Catechism. I am getting the children to memorize the framework of the Catechism. I am amazed at the power of their memories! It is also very helpful for me, as I need to improve my knowledge of the Confessions, so we both win.

I have also been doing some language work with the girls. They are doing well in their work, although it is very easy to fall behind in the programme, especially when their father gets distracted by exams. It has been good to see their progress. Zara especially is doing well, and is taking to reading with great gusto. We have been getting all the girls to take turns in reading verses in our family devotions, and this has been extremely helping in developing their reading ability. Just this morning as Zara was reading a verse she said as she was working through the sentence - "That doesn't make sense", showing that she was working at understanding the sentence and not just reading it out.

We have had a great break since exams. Immediately following exams we were able to go away to a Water Park for a couple of nights, thanks to some friends who were able to get us a great discount. We were able to pay for this from various donations given to us by USA friends. Thank you! You know who you are. I am sure that some photos will be forthcoming.

While away we also celebrated my 40th birthday. So I am supposedly middle aged now.

We also had three of Hanneke's cousins visit with us from Holland over the Christmas break. It was lovely to spend some time with them, and have a family Christmas.

I have also had a new first. I was due to preach at a Church on a Sunday night, but the service was cancelled due to ice. Not something that happens every day. No doubt you will have seen the news about the weather over here. It has been extremely cold outside for a couple of days, but we have been fine. We are blessed with a lovely warm house, and the furnace has been working well, even in the extreme cold.

I begin work proper with a course on Church Planting in the week of January 20th till the 24th. After that it is two days break before starting the Semester proper. It looks like it is going to be another busy one. This is good, as that is what we are here for.

In the meantime I have not been idle. I have been doing some readings for my church planting course, as well as some readings for next semester. That was a great help last semester in managing my workload.

Next time I will update you with what courses I am tackling this Semester.

Blessings,


Albert

No comments: